One night the tenant came home late, in the dark, and his foot went through a stair tread. It had rotted out, and since stairs are cheaper then hospital bills, we replaced the stairs.
We started with this:
Not much was really right about these stairs when we started. The balusters are too far apart, the supporting joists are not parallel and have cracks.
There are gaps and things are patched together.
What happened to that corner?
So we tore it all down and brought it to the dump. The first thing we re-did was the landing. We left a few joists in place since they are the apartment’s floor joists, cantilevered out into the deck. To replace those would have been invasive to the main building.
You can see our new posts are attached with bolts, and the new balusters are screwed in, 4″ apart, and regularly spaced. All lumber is treated so it will last.
The new landing is square, like it’s supposed to be.
Next we cut the stair stringers (the big boards that support the stairs). That takes some patience and calculating. Stairs need to be right. If you’re off by a little bit, people can trip and fall. Take your time, get it right.
We make pretty corner cuts.
Pretty all the way down.
Pretty all the way up.